3. Good health and well-being
4. Quality education
Peak performance: Kilimanjaro leadership quest
A Mountainous Ambition
The Kilimanjaro Leadership Quest was not just an adventurous undertaking, it was a manifestation of Nova SBE's commitment to societal impact and sustainable development. The project fell under the purview of the Nova SBE Leadership for Impact Knowledge Center (LFI), an institution dedicated to generating positive social and environmental change through leadership and innovation.
In alignment with various United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), encompassing SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-being), SDG 4 (Quality Education), and SDG 17 (Partnerships for the Goals), the Kilimanjaro Leadership Quest underscored Nova SBE's commitment to tackling global issues like poverty, inequality, and climate change. This ambitious undertaking goes beyond a mere physical challenge, it transforms into a rigorous test of participants' resilience against obstacles like altitude sickness and harsh weather conditions.
The project not only promotes sustainable mountaineering practices but also advocates for a more sustainable world. Engaging communities, it encourages participation in similar endeavors and fosters a cultural shift towards health, fitness, and sustainable living, extending its impact beyond the ascent of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Preparation and Planning
The journey commenced in February 2023, with participants engaging in rigorous physical training and acquiring the necessary equipment. From multiple trips to outdoor retailers to meticulous planning sessions, the groundwork laid the foundation for their ascent to the peak.
From September 30 to October 8, the group followed the scenic Machame route, accompanied by a team of guides and porters ensuring safety and comfort. The climb presented myriad challenges, including high altitudes, freezing temperatures, and physical exhaustion. Yet, amidst these challenges, participants witnessed the breathtaking beauty of nature, the diversity of flora and fauna, and the warm hospitality of the local people.
Lessons in Leadership
The Kilimanjaro Leadership Quest served as a crucible for leadership skills. Participants applied and reflected on essential qualities such as communication, decision-making, problem-solving, and resilience. The diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of the group members became a source of mutual learning and growth.
Upon descent, the group returned to Lisbon, sharing their experiences and insights with the Nova SBE community and the public during the monthly "Conversaccino" event on October 23. The diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of the group members became a source of mutual learning and growth, reinforcing the significance of teamwork and collaboration in overcoming challenges.
Practical Solutions and Best Practices
The Kilimanjaro Leadership Quest offered practical solutions and best practices for both mountaineering and leadership development:
- Physical Preparation: Regular exercise, including walking, stair climbing, running, and cycling, proved crucial for building base fitness.
- Technical Skills: Proficiency in using mountaineering equipment such as harnesses, ropes, ice axes, and crampons was deemed essential.
- Mental Preparation: Recognizing mountaineering as a mental challenge underscored the importance of mental strength and resilience.
Concrete Ideas and Innovations
The quest also introduced concrete ideas and innovations:
- Leadership Development: The expedition not only provided invaluable lessons in leadership, teamwork, and sustainability but also underscored the development of resilience, decision-making, and teamwork skills crucial for both personal and professional success.
- Promotion of Sustainable Practices: By aligning with the SDGs, the quest promoted sustainable practices in mountaineering, contributing to a more sustainable world.
- Community Engagement: The quest fostered community engagement, encouraging more people to participate in similar endeavors and promoting a culture of health, fitness, and sustainable living.
Beyond the Summit
More than a physical feat, the Kilimanjaro Leadership Quest symbolizes Nova SBE's dedication to societal progress, sustainable development, and leadership cultivation. It stands as an inspiration for pushing boundaries and achieving excellence. This transformative experience showcased the integration of leadership, teamwork, and sustainability, creating impactful value. At 5895 meters, Uhuru Peak epitomized Nova SBE's commitment to thriving under challenging conditions. Congratulations to all participants on their impressive achievement!